Monday, April 17, 2023

My Parents

 I originally wrote this at the bottom of my "Growing up in a small town" series. I decided to go back and insert this short synopsis of my parents because this is where my journey begins. My first purpose of this blog was to document the rich history of my lineage as far back as I can prove... I wasn't thinking that I would detail my parents so quickly, as that is so recent and so raw. I WILL, however, detail them fully in the weeks ahead.

MY PARENTS

Mother

Before I close my "Growing Up in Small Town America" series, I have to brag on my parents. Though I have recorded much about their lives in their own papers, I would be remiss not to tell what they each meant to me as a child growing up.  I was given so many opportunities because of their sacrifices.  My mother was not my friend, but she was my beloved mother. She lived through the Great Depression but learned to love life through it all, which she passed along to me. She taught me all that I needed to know to become a well round individual, complete with proper manners. She taught me to love God, to respect others, and how to handle difficult situations. She was ROCK solid.  She transcended my soul as a mother, and later became my best friend. Though their marriage fell apart, I was always loved by both with agape love.

Daddy


I really have to brag about my daddy. He was abandoned as a small child, left in his father’s care with nothing. They had to fend for themselves and often lived in places with a dirt floor. They travelled around to help harvest crops. He pulled himself up by the bootstraps, so to speak, with the help of my mother, he truly became a community leader. He was handpicked by Mr. Nichols (a well-known newsman in America, see his book) to take over the newspaper, and from there Daddy rose in the ranks of influential people in the community.  Because of him, Vernon was able to form a hospital district through his connection with Representative Bill Heatly and Senator Jack Hightower helping to get Gov. Connelly to sign the proclamation. He was head of the first Wilbarger County General Hospital board and a plaque inside the door honors his service.  He secured land for the new high school stadium, researching, traveling and eventually securing the best design. His name is also on a plaque at the field house. He secured land and made proposals for Nacona Boot factory to find a home in Vernon. Without progressive forward-thinking men like Daddy, Vernon may not have become such a vibrant little town.




No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...