Thursday, June 29, 2023

Tribute to B.M. "Buster" Quillin

 





As I reach the place of documenting my great-grandfather, Beverly Johnson Quillin, I feel compelled to honor my first cousin, one time removed. Buster was my greatest source of moving forward with the Quillin name. 

I will begin my story about Buster through the lens of a child. Buster was born in 1916, making him much older than myself. I was fortunate enough to know him, though, and remember the times I spent with him. He married a lady named Hazel Parker on 28 March 1941 in Altus, Oklahoma. I grew up in Vernon, Texas, and Buster and Hazel lived in the nearby city of Wichita Falls. They would occasionally drive over to spend the afternoon with my family. There are just some people you share a kindred spirit with, and Buster was one of those people for me. There was an aura of kindness that surrounded him. He was honest, sincere, and genuine. I always enjoyed being around him and often wished that I could spend more time with him. Being that he was a distant relative for me, the times I spent with him were infrequent.

When I began my study of family history, it didn't take long for my daddy to suggest that I contact Buster because Buster was raised by my great-grandparents, B.J. Quillin and Polly (Sprowls) Quillin. Buster was the illegitimate son of Cathleen "Corintha" Melvina Quillin, daughter of B.J. and Polly. B.J. gave Buster the Quillin name. The interesting thing about Buster was that I never sensed any resentment from him about this situation. He was able to give me the "low-down" on a very intimate level. Buster's mother, Cathleen, eventually married a man named Thomas Bagby and had a legitimate child named Opal Christine Bagby, named after Cathleen's sister. Problems have definitely formed in family tree documentation because of this situation. It often appears that Buster was the child of B.J., but with careful inspection, the census sheets clearly state that he was the grandson of B.J. I have tried to correct this in many places in order to make the Quillin tree as pure as possible. Buster had a memory like an elephant; I could never write my notes fast enough as I visited on the phone with him. I often had to backtrack with him to make sure that I had recorded the information correctly. 

As an adult beginning my quest as a genealogist, I visited Daddy in 1990, and he took me down memory lane, carrying me all over the countryside showing me the places of my ancestors. Daddy also took me to Wichita Falls to visit Buster. At that time Buster's wife, Hazel, had passed away and Buster was living with his Aunt Opal to care for her. Opal was the daughter of B.J. and Polly, making her the sister of Cathleen. It just so happened that Buster's half-sister, Opal Christine Bagby was there for a visit as well. It was a lovely afternoon getting acquainted with her and looking at old family albums with Aunt Opal. 

The last memory that I have of Buster will stay with me forever. Daddy spent his last days on earth in the hospital in Wichita Falls. Buster came up to visit Daddy. It meant the world to me to see Buster appear in the doorway. It was not a good day for Daddy, as he was not in a coherent state on that day, so Buster only stayed for a short time. Buster was a very old man by then. He said he had parked a long way from the hospital and that he must go. Daddy's room was over the entrance to the hospital, and I remember watching out the window as Buster walked back up the hill to his car. Oh, how I wish that I had accompanied him that day back to his car. I have the image of an old man with a cane making his way uphill until he was out of sight as my last image of one of the sweetest men I ever knew. 

Below is a picture taken on the visit to see Buster in 1990. 
left to right: Truman Bryan Quillin, Sr., Opal (Quillin) Balch, Buster Quillin, Thomas Jefferson Taylor, Opal Christine (Bagby) Taylor.




Below is Buster's obituary: 


B. M. "Buster" Quillin, 95, of Wichita Falls died Monday, March 19, 2012. Funeral Services will be held at 3:00 PM Thursday, March 22, 2012 at Hampton Vaughan Funeral Home Chapel with Reverend Howard Chapman officiating. Interment will follow in Crestview Memorial Park. The family will receive friends at the visitation scheduled from 6:00 until 8:00 Wednesday evening at the funeral home.
Buster was born on September 1, 1916 in Seymour, TX. He started working for the Ft. Worth & Denver Railroad in 1934 and retired from Burlington Northern Railroad in 1976 after 42 years. Buster was a member of the First Baptist Church in Wichita Falls for over 70 years and drove the church bus for several years. He was a member of the Maskat Shrine Temple here for 66 years, joining in 1946. He was also a member of Joseph A. Kemp Lodge #1287 AF & AM. for over 50 years. Buster was dubbed 'The Fruitcake King' by the Wichita Falls Times Record News for all the fruitcakes he baked over the years for dozens of family members and friends.
Mr. Quillin was preceded in death by his wife, Hazel Quillin in 1987; his mother and step-father, Cathleen and Tom Bagby; sisters, Mildred Gervasi and Christine Taylor and her husband, T. J. Taylor, III. Survivors include nieces, Sally Loner and husband, Dennis and Nancy Taylor and devoted, special friends Mike and Carol Patterson of Wichita Falls. Also surviving are several other nieces and nephews.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be sent to Hospice of Wichita Falls, 4909 Johnson Rd., 76310.
Please visit www.hamptonvaughancrestview.com to post on-line messages of condolence to the Quillin family.

Hampton Vaughan Crestview Funeral Home and Memorial Park
Wichita Falls, Texas

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...