Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Letter from Lessie Irena "Trena" McNair

 I love this letter on many levels. It is written from someone who connects me to 4 generations back in family history. It is HAND written, and it is about my great-grandfather. 



Ova sent me a copy of this letter that was written by Lessie Trena. Lessie Trena was one of Papa's younger sisters. She was born in 1888. In this letter, Lessie Trena tells Ova a story about when Papa (Charles Franklin McNair) was a baby and how he was saved by eating bacon. It seems that after the doctor gave up on Papa, an old traveling man came and spent the night with their mom and dad (Mack McNair and Sarah (Henderson) McNair). 
Lessie Trena mentions that fact that Sarah has asthma which confirms what Mother told me about her. Lessie also mentions her brother Alfred Minlus McNair and her sister Thelma Iowa McNair. 

Mama and Papa were the masters at using natural remedies. This letter reveals that it was passed down to them. It was just what people had to do back then. I remember a home remedy that Papa swore by. Papa said that if you have a sore throat to drink grape juice. When I was little, of course I had sore throats. I would always drink grape juice and it would take the soreness away. 

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...