Monday, September 4, 2023

My Recollections of Mama & Papa (part 2)

 

The Garden Plow like Papa would use for his massive garden.

My Daddy- Truman Quillen Sr.   Mama-Ella Vermell King   Papa-Charles Franklin McNair

 In 1990, I returned home (Vernon) so that Daddy could drive me around the county to revisit all of the old homesteads. On our visit to Lockett, the Baptist Church was still standing strong, but the little green brick house was abandoned and mostly in a dilapidated state.  It was actually open and we were able to peak in. There was an old wooden chair that I picked up and brought home, but there is no certainty that it belonged to Mama and Papa. It is identical to another chair that I have that I am certain belonged to Papa.  Daddy explained to me that somewhere in the time frame of 1923, he and Papa built two homes, one on the farmland east of town (that mother and daddy moved into) and the other was the little green house in Lockett where Mama and Papa lived. This makes sense because Papa listed his profession in 1910 as a carpenter. Daddy explained how they even made the bricks (and sun dried them) that were used on the exterior walls. Papa did the framing.

 Stories that I heard about them that I remember most:

 When my grandmother (Ava) gave birth to her first child, Jo, it was a difficult labor. Jo was stuck in the birth canal. It was a home birth, and when Jo finally made her way into the world, all hope was given up that she would live through the night. Ella stayed up all night extracting mucus/debris from Jo’s airways. Jo survived, though she was deformed from being in the birth canal too long. I was blessed to grow up knowing Jo as I learned how to see her as a person, rather than seeing her as a deformed person.

 Papa was always dedicated to preaching the gospel. He was a ‘hell, fire and brimstone’ preacher. I was able to secure some of his thoughts in letters that he wrote to his son and grandson. I have pictures of him baptizing people in the river.

 Mama and Papa were the ones that took in Mother’s (Carolita Jones Quillin) family,  (J.C. Jones and Ava and FIVE children) when their home was destroyed by fire. They had nothing but the shirts on their backs, and Mama and Papa took them and bought clothes and shoes.  They provided shelter for the Jones family until J.C. could secure another dwelling.

 Possession from Mama and Papa that I have – bible, Hull vase, iron skillet

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...