Thursday, February 15, 2024

S.S. Jamison's Infamous Letters

Forever, I have followed information that was gleaned from the letters that Robert Ewing born 1790 had written to Sarah Sally Jamison (born 1792) about her grandmother, Margaret McMichael Ewing born 1723. With information from someone that far back, it had to be fairly accurate. Then I ran into problems because I realized there was another S.S. Jamison in Burnet Texas. Turns out, it was a respected man of the community named Samuel Sumner Jamison born 1827. He was from the same Elizabeth Ewing, just a different generation later. But I FINALLY figured it out!

Substantiating My Research—S.S. Jamison
 
For some time, I have wondered/doubted the source of S.S. Jamison in BURNET, TEXAS. The dates never matched up. I could go no further in my research until I solved this problem. Previous research was always attributed to information from S.S. Jamison, the Sarah Sally who had received letters from Robert Ewing who had written down all of the family history given to him by Margaret McMichael Ewing just a year before she died. Margaret was the wife of Samuel, son of John Ewing of Carnshanaugh 1648.
 
So how could this be the S.S. Jamison of Burnet, Texas…. see quote below taken from the Story of Clan Ewing on the Ewing Family Association website:
 As was mentioned in Chapter II, the History of Cecil Co., Maryland Ewing family had been given to Col. Wm. A. Ewing of Chicago IL in 1846 by Nathaniel Ewing born 1772, a grandson of the Cecil Co., Md. family. Col. Wm. A. Ewing was also given material on John Ewing by S.S. Jamieson of Burnet, Texas. It was published in Pioneers of Washington Co., Ky. and it matches word for word the information I will quote presently.”
  
S.S.Jamison of Burnet > John Jamison > Elizabeth Ewing > Samuel Ewing > John Ewing 1648
S.S. Jamison (Sarah Sally) 1792 > Elizabeth > Samuel Ewing > John Ewing 1648
Our James Ewing Jr 1758 > Our James (Pocahontas) 1721 > John Ewing 1648
  
Further down there are references given to other cousins in Texas. I do not have a clue who they are as of today.
 
Sometime before May 13,1983, Ono Ruth Klemann of Temple, TX sent me a copy of a letter she had received from Euline Benbow of El Camino Courts, 2102 Highway 21 East, Bryan, TX 77801. All attempts to contact Ms.Benbow have failed. Ms. Benbow's note read:
“I took this from an old letter I found in a trunk that I was blessed to receive. The letters are all 75 to 100 years old. Really thought you might enjoy this and tie some of it in with yours. If so, let me know.”

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...