Saturday, June 8, 2024

My America, My Homeland Part 8

American History and Politics During My Lifetime

 Desegregation Continued

Other than what was mentioned in the previous post, I had very little exposure to black people until high school when integration was forced upon us. It was my sophomore year and I don’t remember much about it. I do, however, have vivid memories of a riot that occurred midway through the year. Some of the black students gathered in the rest room during lunch time, tore off toilet sets, set a fire and wrote on the walls. We were evacuated from the building until authorities could secure that area and gather the black students in the library. They called in black community leaders, preachers and our beloved black Coach, Mr. Jake Brazile. He was a gentle giant and loved by many. His wife had been one of my favorite science teachers in the 6th grade. We resumed our school day, and I remember glancing through the library windows during passing period and seeing them all gathered there. This calmed the situation, but now I wondered if integration would work…but we did not have a choice. I felt disgusted that our new building had been vandalized, and now I was fearful which was precipitated from my viewpoint as a small white female with long blonde hair. I didn’t expect that they would be interested in me, but they would often try to reach out and touch/stroke my blond hair. Therefore, I avoided them, which many white kids did, and this may be why the black kids never felt included. There were many ramifications and difficulties of meshing two cultures. I experienced it firsthand.

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...