Monday, February 26, 2024

Framing My World - 2

 Being A Teacher

I was passionate about teaching but being a perfectionist had its drawback in a classroom situation…but it had a plus side, as well. I sometimes told my students, “There’s one chief and many Indians in here.” I also know that you can please some of the people sometimes, but you can never please everyone all the time. I was a conservative teacher and class management was high on the list. I’m sure it was because of my own learning style.  I can’t function in chaos with lots of distractions, and providing that for my students was imperative for me.  Therefore, I was a friend for the parents who liked discipline and a foe to students who enjoyed chaos. There were days when I could handle situations with humor, but more often than not, I chose to not let my guard down, probably being perceived as biased and cold to my students, though in my heart I felt lots of compassion to do the right thing as their teacher.  I enjoyed teaching the whole child in the form of large projects that were multi-faceted in achieving skills. It was fun when we were not teaching to a test. The students in Eanes were very capable of learning skills this way. I started out in a low socio-economic neighborhood with difficult and challenging students, Pearce Middle School in North East Austin. A student stabbed a substitute in the hand in the cafeteria that year. That was enough for me.  Our move to Red Oak enlightened me as a teacher and was a good move for me. We had regular students from a small rural area near Dallas.  I gained experience and confidence, earning the award of “Teacher of the Year.” We moved back to Austin and settled into the Eanes district. I often told Derek that I would have never been able to stay in the teaching profession if I had not had students and parents who were much like myself and motivated to learn.

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...