Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Contacting Wallace Kelley Ewing

My 2012 Contact with wally1932
Finding his research on Ancestry was tricky.
PLEASE READ MY NOTE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
 
Wallace K. Ewing
The man who has done so much research for the Ewing Family.
 
Dec 13 2012 sent 1:52  read 1:52 pm
Good morning! You have clearly done much research on the Ewing family. We connect at James Ewing 1721-1891 and Sarah Edwards. If I can be of help on my branch, let me know. I think your research is some that I found online several years ago...and it helped substantiate my line. This is my dad's mother's line. I was not as close to that side of the family, but I think I've done some accurate research. It's always hard to know for sure.
 
His response 2:29 pm
Thanks for your note. Yes, the research goes on, sometimes fruitfully, sometimes not. James's marriage to Sarah Edwards and the existence of a second family was once convincing but is now suspect. There simply isn't enough supporting evidence, and I recently removed the entry from my family tree. Sadly, once an item is posted to the Internet, it seems to live forever. Perhaps you have found some evidence that adds credence to the possibility of James's second family. If so, I hope you will share it. Wally
 
My response 3:04   read at 3:04
Oh no! That is not good news. So...you are saying that the evidence for Sarah Mayes is not there? Hopefully, I'm still good on the Sarah Edwards connection. I try hard to avoid what other people have on Ancestry....some of it is jumbled. But I have followed you on other forums and the research always made sense to me. Yes, it is too bad that once info is on the internet that you can't wipe the slate clean. After you wrote, I was trying to find your Ewing tree to see what alterations you made...no success finding you. Nancy
 
His response 3:55 pm
The argument for James's second family came from correspondence from the 1820s. Anne Toohey wrote a convincing summary of the evidence for a second family in an article dated April 11, 1996(The copy I have is labeled "Draft.") It is titled "James Ewing, Pioneer," which, curiously, is the same title my sister gave to her extensive genealogy written in the mid-1980s. Do you have that article? I imagine there was a James Ewing who married Sarah Edwards, but apparently he was not my family's James Ewing. The fun continues. Wally
 
My response  6:14 pm  read at 6:14 pm
First, I stand in admiration of all those who have done such extensive research. Secondly, you have me scrambling to find my sources this morning. One of my first sources may have been you with a Wally Ewing on Ancestry in April 2002. I put it away for several years. Then I discovered an ahnentafel by a jimmy ewing. To substantiate, I found ewingfamilyassoc with articles by David Benbow. Started seeing the name of Elizabeth Ewing Jamison "Aunt Sallie" and finally landed in a book, I think by S.S. Jamison, chapter XI John Ewing of Carnashanaugh. I could see the confusion with James Ewing of Pocahontas. I felt fairly confident in my research. Right before I ended, I found "Early Ewings of Augusta" where they credited a Dr. Wallace Ewing (which I think may be you) with Ewings: One American Family. I do see up above that a…Nancy Hank Ewing's name with James Ewing-Pioneer. Where should I go to see your "Draft"?
 
December 14, 2012
His response  1:47 pm
You are right on all counts. Nancy Hank Ewing is my sister. She died about 15 years ago with her work unfinished, but her extensive genealogy was close to done, and others wrapped it up for her. As for the Anne Toohey article, I don't know how you would find it. My copy has Library of Congress on the title page. You might try to google it and see if anything comes up. I will be out of town for the next two weeks, but if needed, I could copy the article and mail it to you in January. Are you a member of the Ewing Family Association? If so, you will see that the EFA Journal has been running a series of articles by me about my ancestors, back to James. Part IV will appear in the Feb. issue. I wish you continued good luck as you do more research.
 
My response 3:59 pm   read 3:59 pm
I KNEW it!!! I'm so pleased and honored to make a connection with you. And thank you generously for taking time to respond to me. I DID find the awesome website that appears to be updated from when I last found it. It was so easy to find; I felt silly for asking you..but you headed me in the right direction. I saw your name as chancellor and board chair. I just knew that was you. What admirable work your sister did and that you are carrying on into the future! I appreciate that this research is open for others to see. I began researching in the 80's, at a time when we had to beat the streets, write letters and pay visits to relatives. (I kind of miss that.) But computers are such a wonderful convenience. However, I feel it can be very confusing, especially for those of us who are trying to be accurate. It becomes jumbled by those who leap frog...so to speak. I can't wait to re-read into this wonderful source. I, too, am going to suspend my research until after the holidays, but I will be back in touch with you. No, I am not a member of the Ewing fam assoc. Would love to know what this entails. I'll close now with best regards to you. Merry Christmas! I will be in touch after the first of the year. Thank you, Thank you for reaching out to me.
 
NOTE:
I was so awestruck that I never contacted him again, as I could add no more information to his research. HOWEVER, today 16 Jan 2024, as I prepare more information for my cousin, Patricia Emmons Whitworth, I went WAY back to my correspondence with wally1932 on Ancestry and I found his skeleton tree. It was in the margin of his correspondence. He downloaded a backup tree on Family Tree Maker. He had 3 downloads. I found the one with the most people, and lo and behold, Wallace Ewing has added my whole branch to this tree… all the way down to Daddy, Truman Bryan Quillin, Sr. I’m amazed and HONORED!

No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...