Thursday, June 6, 2024

My America, My Homeland Part 6

 American History and Politics During My Lifetime

Important Legislation from the Year 1956

The year that I was born, President Eisenhower signed the Federal Aid Highway Act into law since he had seen the German Autobahn system during WWII.  He reasoned that an interstate system would benefit national security, allowing faster evacuation routes in a nuclear attack. 41,000 miles of highways were built across America. This changed our landscape forever.

Previous history

1895 – Bureau of Highways became the foundation of what exists today from the dirt wagon trails

1918 – Roadways were connected with Bonds, paving began

1933 – U.S. Highway system was formed and roadways doubled.

1956 – by 1960,  our interstate system became the largest civil engineering project in the world costing more than 100 billion.

My memories of travelling in the car were on two lane highways through miles and miles of open land. I remember looking out the window at the passing landscape or soaking in the sights of any new town or city. There was a quiet comfort knowing that I was in the safe protection of Mother and Daddy out in that vast world. Traveling made me feel FAR from home. There were many dirt roads around Vernon and we knew them well, just like highways. I learned to drive on FM roads (Farm to Market). These were paved roads, smaller and narrower than U.S. Highways.  When the vast Interstates opened, it seemed that you didn’t have to slow for anything. Daddy taught me to drive long distance on the big highways during our 1972 road trip to Michigan to see Paula. He drove it straight through in two days, but on the return trip, we toured the Eastern states. Once we got onto the Interstates, Daddy would let me drive to experience the high speeds and passing.


No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...