Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Growing Up In Small Town America Part 14

 Summertime - Crafts, Camps, Vacations

During the summer, I learned how to do crafts on my own, including how to sew on Mother’s Singer sewing machine. I’m proud that I learned the basics. I did sew a few things that I actually wore, and Mother sewed many things for me, including most of my formal dresses.  Mimi was the expert seamstress and I later requested that she make my Lion Costume as the school mascot. It was in her later stage of life. Looking back, I know that it stressed her dealing with that heavy fur material, but she did it. It meant a lot to me for HER to be the one to design my costume, complete with a tail J

 

The summer was filled with sleeping late, eating watermelon for breakfast, and watching cartoons and sitcoms until mid morning. Sometimes I would go to a Methodist Church camp with my friends and I always looked forward to Day Camp with the Camp Fire Girls. As summer grew long, though, we grew anxiously excited to start another school year.  August was a time to buy new school clothes, school supplies, new lunch pail, etc. I was also allowed to have a birthday party, usually inviting 10-15 friends.  Mother would have a cake, we would play games, and they always brought a gift.  I also attended MANY parties for my entire circle of friends, as well. It was a thing we did in a small town. We decorated with balloons, crepe paper and had favors for the guest.

 

As a family, I remember a stretch of time that we vacationed in Colorado. Daddy would rent a cabin and it was a fun family time. I grew fascinated with the chipmunks and built a trap and was actually able to catch them.  I got the bright idea to bring one home and was surprised when that was allowed.  The poor fellow never made it back to Vernon, as he died on the journey… no surprise.


No comments:

Autumn Season of Life

                                                              1000+ images about Clip art - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best Autumn is a season o...