James McNair
History Sheet
Compiled by Nancy Quillin Long
March 2016
Sources:
Leaves of the Family Tree by Penelope Johnson Allen, 1937.
Chalkley's
Chronicles
The McNair, McNear, and McNeir genealogies by James Birtley McNair, Chicago: 1929.
Reminiscent
History of the Ozark Region This Goodspeed Brothers collection of
sketches was originally published in
Chicago in 1864. Southern Historical Press, Inc. reprinted the book from an
1894 edition in 1978, 1984 and
1995.
Department of Cultural Resources: North Carolina. Division of archives and History. Certificates of payment for military service.
Carolita Quillin Jones - invaluable to me
Ova McNair Ker - invaluable to me
History Sheet
Compiled by Nancy Quillin Long
March 2016
Sources:
Leaves of the Family Tree by Penelope Johnson Allen, 1937.
The McNair, McNear, and McNeir genealogies by James Birtley McNair, Chicago: 1929.
Department of Cultural Resources: North Carolina. Division of archives and History. Certificates of payment for military service.
Carolita Quillin Jones - invaluable to me
Ova McNair Ker - invaluable to me
For
the most part, this history sheet will be stories that others from long ago
shared about our James McNair. I could
do no better than giving you these colorful descriptions of him. But before I
share those stories, I will share my own genealogical search for the McNair
family. This family was the first prize
that I sought. I had a trip planned to
Ireland and McNair was the only family with "Mc" in their name and I
was hoping to find a family connection to Ireland. Silly me for thinking I could find shortcuts
through the world of genealogy. Anyway,
I am fortunate to live in a state capitol city where I have access to the state
archives, and may I say, it is a wonderful place. So I started there and as a rookie, I had
many lessons to learn. Needless to say,
I became frustrated trying to put a square peg into a round hole, so to
speak. In my frustration, I decided to do
a quick search of my maiden name (Quillin) and I stumbled over the pot of gold
at the end of the rainbow. My search
quickly revealed a book written about the Quillin family and the family name
was MACQUILLIN until they came to America in the 1660s. And they came from Ulster, Ireland. Enough
said. I abandoned my McNair search
temporarily and totally immersed myself in my Irish history through my maiden
name.
As
stated above, the McNair name was my first sought after treasure and I had all
the branches filled on the tree back through my great-great grandfather. Not only had I become a sleuth, but I had my
own private investigator, my mother, Carolita Quillin Jones. She had a love for family history and a
healthy respect for the sacrifices that were made by those who had gone before
us. Through her, I was able to contact quite a few older relatives and together
we paid visits to them. It was so much
fun reconnecting with these people. This proved invaluable in bringing to light
firsthand the information about the leaves on our tree. Mother put together her recollections and
added them to very old photos and before long, I had an amazing amount of
history on the McNair family. I loved
digging for the skeletons and finding the bones....she loved adding meat to the
bones. It worked for me!
After
my trip to Ireland and after I had pieced together my Quillin line, I returned
to all the information gathered on the McNairs.
My research kept revealing clues that I might have an ancestor that
fought as a Patriot in the Revolutionary War and I was very interested in
joining DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Little did I know what this was going to
entail. In the midst of this journey, I
was called to be a juror on an attempted murder case and spent a week in close
contact with the other selected jurors.
One of them, Caroline Bass, was a member of DAR and I learned about the
process for honoring our Patriots. She
vowed to help me in my search. Back in
the 1990s before the click of a mouse, this type of research was not easy;
however, I am proud that I learned the value of research and documentation and
how NOT to rely on everything my mouse now finds. Just because it is written, does not mean it
is so. I learned I had to document a tie before I could establish the
connection.
Once again, I came up short with the McNair
name. This James remained elusive, but I
was nearly there with him. I just
couldn't find that one voucher in the national archives that would credit him
for his service in the Revolution.
Here's where my research jumped track again. In trying to reach James, his son John (Jack)
McNair and our great-great grandfather's (Mack Manilus McNair) father, left
behind quite a paper trail. Being a
large land owner and having fought in the War of 1812, some wonderful
information came to light about him and his wife, Mary Ann Sherertz. And there it was...a book about the Sheretz
and Mary Ann's grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War. It was a clear shot for my documentation into
DAR so I took that angle. On the
Sherertz branch of the tree, I will share more about that family, but it
pleases me to say that I was the very first person to honor Conrad Sherertz,
Sr. as a Patriot and placing his name into the DAR records. Learn more about this family in the Sheretz
history pages
No comments:
Post a Comment